Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to Neutral

Life is busy. I don't think it matters who you are or what you do. I think we all live to the fullest extent of our means. In both time and money. I am so busy and I overschedule myself regularly. It seems I'm never in one place for very long and am so good at multi-tasking I may have lost some of my ability to focus on one thing at a time. (adult-onset ADD much?) I have to consciously decide to turn off my computer and put my phone, iPad, iPod, etc., etc., etc., away to sit down and enjoy a movie. Really Kristen? You have to take care of a bunch of "important" stuff to check out for an hour and a half? Right. Because the world might end of you don't answer your phone or an email for 90 minutes!
**Enter reality check** My reality checks happen when I've been going, going, going and don't slow down enough, or stop to smell the roses, or even sit down at the dinner table to eat! This time, not unusually, my reality check came as a cold. I need to reboot. Get back to neutral. In more ways than one. I rarely get sick. But, when I do, I make myself slow down (not that I have a choice) but I make myself slow my brain down and think and reflect. Although I appreciate and love my life I think I sometimes don't take full advantage of all it really is because I am too busy and moving too fast to notice everything. Unless I feel as though I'm on my death bed I actually don't mind being sick. It forces me to recharge. "After all, if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything." (Luckily, I still manage to amuse myself! HA!)
So, I'm sitting here on my sofa, not feeling all that great, Rich is out of town and I'm feeling a bit...reflective?....sentimental?...open to the universe? Hard to put into words but when I feel this way I want a good, not too heavy, not too light, puts a perspective on life, guaranteed to make me cry movie. You know the feeling, right? So, I put in Tuesdays with Morrie. I read the book years ago and remember absolutely adoring it! If you haven't read or seen it...DO! I laughed, I cried, blah blah blah...whatever. My favorite part (today, because next time I watch it I will most definitely have a new favorite part) was when Mitch asks Morrie, "If you were given 24 hours of perfect health to do whatever you wanted, what would you do?" Morrie goes on to describe his "perfect day." It was simple, surrounded by those he loves the most with good food, walks in the park, conversations on how they felt about each other and dancing the night away. So simple. So completely perfect. A day like that would bring anyone back to neutral.

No comments:

Post a Comment