Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Conquering a fear

So I was in California last week for work but had some play time to do some new things. I decided that I would try surfing since I had never done it and had the opportunity with a group. Ever since I can remember I have had this recurring dream of being taken under by a huge wave and not being able to get to the surface in enough time. Usually this dream happens when I am very stressed out or there is a situation that is out of my control (go figure). Anyway, I was totally prepared to get out there, have one wave crash over my head and sit the rest of the day on the beach. But once I was out there with the instructors and the other people in my group I was completely comfortable in the water! I shocked my self and even though they were just baby waves, I felt a sense of accomplishment! Here's me hanging ten in the Pacific....



The only problem I ran into was the motion sickness. You have to paddle through a lot of waves and go over them while laying on your belly. This caused a bit of a **blech** feeling in my stomach. By the time I couldn't take that anymore we only had ten minutes left in our lesson anyway. So, I dragged the board out of the water and posed with it until it was time to go back to the hotel. I know, I'm a little narcissistic but oh well, it made for a cute "surfer dude" picture!

Here's to conquering our fears!!

No comments:

Post a Comment